Many of you will know the story of how Snowdon Rocks began. Just over 10 years ago, when Mike was receiving treatment in the North Wales Cancer Treatment Centre, he made a pledge to climb Snowdon as soon as he got well enough to do so. As he looked at the mountains of Snowdonia from his window in the hospital, Mike would feel ever more determined to get fit enough to hike. It was here that his plans to give back to those who had cared for him, and who continue to do so, and to help others with a cancer diagnosis first began to form. It was here that the ideas behind Love Hope Strength were born.
Over the past ten years, since Mike’s dream of getting back on Snowdon after his leukaemia diagnosis and intensive treatment, and thousands of people have now summited Snowdon as part of LHS’s Snowdon Rocks. Hundreds of thousands of pounds have been raised to support people with cancer and life changing friendships have been created on the mountainside. In recent years partnerships have been built between LHS and the NHS charity, Awyr Las, and international charity DKMS which have seen the numbers of people taking part in Snowdon Rocks, and the incredible impact of the fundraising taking place, increase dramatically.
After a hugely successful ten years of summiting Snowdon in all weathers, Mike has now decided to make some changes to Snowdon Rocks which will only make the day even more special.
With a different hike planned; more music and adventure; new important partnerships; a desire to open up the day to different age groups; introduce more people to new areas of Snowdonia; and recognition that we need to reduce the adverse environmental impact that challenge events are having on Snowdon itself, we present Snowdonia Rocks.
“It’s not always about the summit, but how far we’ve come.”
Snowdonia Rocks promises to be a family friendly, inclusive day with more music, more opportunities to take in some of the wonders of Snowdonia and a chance to reflect, remember and celebrate friends and family affected by cancer and other life changing and life limiting illnesses.
The passion, fun and positivity of Snowdon Rocks remain. So what’s changed?
Snowdonia Rocks is a 20km hike which will take in the views of the spectacular Devil’s Kitchen
Largely on flatter terrain, this walk is suitable for many of those who were unable to take on Snowdon but remains a good challenge for all walkers
Communal feel to the day with more opportunities for impromptu offerings of music during the walk
On the day registration and the start and finish points of the walk will be at Zip World, Penrhyn Quarry, Bethesda
48 Velocity Zip Wire Challenges – the fastest zip line in the world and the longest in Europe – available for hike participants at the end of the hike.
Zip World Rocks, an evening of quality entertainment curated by Mike Peters, presented with the impressive backdrop of Penrhyn Quarry will follow the walk (additional tickets must be purchased)
Snowdonia Rocks hike: £20 for 18s and over, free for under 18s
Zip World Rocks evening of music: £15 for over 18s,
£5 for under 18s.
VIP packages £50 per person for over 18s,
£20 for under 18s
Proceeds of Snowdonia Rocks and Zip World Rocks will support LHS’s three grant schemes: the Get On The List programme; equipment and new facilities in UK hospitals; support for cancer services across the globe, helping some of the most vulnerable families in underdeveloped countries.
Zip World have come on board to sponsor and host Snowdonia and Zip World Rocks. We are indebted to everyone at Zip World for their support, advice, knowledge and dedication to helping LHS achieve its mission.
Places on the hike will be limited so please register promptly to avoid disappointment
- Important information at a glance:
This Hike is suitable for anyone who can independently walk this distance ordinarily. There are no huge climbs, but it is not suitable for wheelchair users or pushchairs.
- On line sign up for Snowdonia Rocks will be open until Tuesday 19th June. There will be on-the-day sign up for the hike, subject to availability of places.
- There is sufficient parking for 300 cars on the Zip World Penrhyn Quarry Site. All additional parking will be at a specified location on Bethesda, approx 1,000 metres away, and a shuttle bus will be put on in the evening for those parking there.
- On the day registration (mandatory for all Snowdonia Rocks participants) will take place from 7:30 – 9:30 at Zip World Penrhyn Quarry, Bethesda LL57 4YG. The hike will start at 10:00 and you can expect to return to Zip World at around 16:30. The indoor facilities at Zip World will be available for all hikers to use until 17:00. Outdoor food concessions, bars and toilets will also be available
- There are loads of places to stay near Bethesda. For more information or help booking accommodation please see https://www.zipworld.co.uk/accommodation
- All bookings for Snowdonia Rocks will be taken by Zip World and can be made online or by phone at https://www.zipworld.co.uk.
- If you would like to take part in the LHS Zip Challenge and do Velocity after the Hike please register your interest before 1st June with LHS directly at [email protected] You will then receive more information and details of what to expect.
- You can book tickets for Zip World Rocks online with Zip World until 22nd June. Tickets will be available to purchase on the day.
- The lineup for Zip World Rocks will be announced between now and then. Live music from 17:00 until late.
- VIP packages for Zip World Rocks include access to indoor facilities throughout the evening, complimentary food and beverages, access to the bands and private viewing platforms for the gigs
- Help save lives one step at a time whilst enjoying beautiful Snowdonia, relaxing with friends and taking on a fulfilling challenge.